Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Math and Me


Strolling with my friend on a lazy summer day,
When we were done with work and play,
The talk turned to 7th Grade & school,
To what we liked and found really 'cool'.

“Oh, Math is so useless, and boring to me
I'm sure I hate Math,” said she.
“Oh no, it's interesting; I love it,” said I,
“It's useful everywhere in life, you will see.”

Every morning your alarm goes off : 'Ring, ring'
Pick your backpack, which to school you must bring,
You do all this without much ado or fuss -
Just so you're on time to catch the bus.

Flowers in yards, and fruits on trees
Birds in the sky, and even buzzing bees!
Look around in nature, and what do you see?
It's Math at work, in the form of symmetry.

I love figure skating with the jumps and spins -
The axels, camels, laybacks and sits.
All use angles, and lines, curves and more;
All part of Geometry – Math is the core.
When I open my lunch box and look at all the food,
The home-made bread and veggies and fruit -
I remember we used fractions to measure the cups of flour
To make the bread that brightens my mood.

When school's out & in my spare time, I love doing Origami -
the ancient Japanese art of paper-folding
Do something on one side, and repeat it on the other :
again it's Math at work, in the form of symmetry.

We need to buy groceries so we'll have something to eat,
Whether weighing the food, or paying for it,
Measuring calories you put in or out,
Math is everywhere without any doubt!



1 comment: